New York, NY 10020
Sloan Schickler’s commercial practice focuses on the financial services area of vehicle finance, secured lending, commercial and consumer leasing, retail installment sales and dealer floor plan finance, regulatory licensing and compliance, syndicated revolving credit facilities, asset securitization, corporate structuring and governance, real estate finance and a broad range of commercial transactions. Clients have included major commercial banks, financial institutions, investment banks, captive finance companies, leasing companies, auto manufacturers, auto dealerships, real estate investors, hedge funds, and public and closely-held corporations. Sloan is the Legal and Legislative Counsel to the National Vehicle Leasing Association where she also serves as the only female board member. She has been of counsel to a woman and minority owned law firm for almost a decade. Sloan speaks at trade conferences and writes articles on issues related to leasing and finance.
Sloan is a Managing Partner of the firm.
- Created and authored recourse and non-recourse dealer security agreements and lending programs, direct motor vehicle leases, master motor vehicle leases, compliance procedures (federal and state) and related documents for banks, lenders, leasing companies, franchised and used vehicle dealerships.
- Designed documentation and compliance procedures for financing recourse loans to dealer-related lenders collateralized by deep sub-prime consumer auto leases and consumer retail installment sale contracts, including ongoing negotiation and documentation of loans to dealer-related lenders and intercreditor agreements.
- Authored floor plan financing set-ups and related documents for banks and lenders providing motor vehicle financing to franchised motor vehicle dealerships and used car dealerships.
- Authored consumer and business auto leases, compliance documents and disclosure statements including in New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, California, Florida and Maryland.
- Licensed lobbyist in the State of New York.
- Orchestrated lobbying effort to successfully suppress legislation in the New York State legislature designed to extinguish motor vehicle leasing brokers and independent leasing companies.
- Served as outside general counsel to a domestic auto finance subsidiary of a foreign bank, advising on an array of matters pertinent to the business ranging from auto finance loan agreements to real estate leasing, employment agreements and severance issues, non-disclosure agreements, litigation matters, regulatory and compliance, contract and joint venture agreements, among others.
- Participated in representation of lender as special counsel in bankruptcy proceedings of debtor/lessors and in workout and loan modifications.
- Represented major institutional lender to top U.S. auto dealer with respect to syndicated revolving credit facilities.
- Designed the documentation and compliance procedures (federal and state) for financing recourse loans collateralized by auto leases and installment sales contracts.
- Conducted numerous sales/financings of auto lease portfolios and retail installment sale contract portfolios including through public and private UCC sales at foreclosure.
- Served as special regulatory counsel to foreign trading company with respect to U.S. auto finance subsidiary stock sale transaction.
- Designed and documented master purchase program for a bank acquisition of retail installment contracts from an independent finance company.
- Developed and documented comprehensive lending documents for Lease Here Pay Here and Buy Here Pay Here lenders to finance sub-prime auto dealers.
- Represented financial institution in several separate syndicated real estate loans for social investment purposes range for borrowers located in multiple states.
- Worked with a registered lobbyist representing major banking interests in a state legislature with respect to motor vehicle financing and leasing legislation.
- Conducted multi-jurisdictional surveys of laws related to motor vehicle finance, including perfection of liens in motor vehicles, consumer disclosure, lemon law, plain language.
- Conducted multi-jurisdictional assessment of motor vehicle leasing and dealer licensing and related sales finance company licensing requirements.
- Represented lender before regulatory authorities in connection with applications for leasing companies, motor vehicle dealers, sales finance companies and licensed lenders.
- Designed the structure and formulated the documentation for asset backed securities programs combining a securitization model with a warehousing mechanism for new originations creating a continuous investment pool.
- Designed and documented a securitization of auto leases and installment sale contracts.
- Authored municipal equipment lease, related documentation and compliance procedures.
- Represented a major U.S. oil company in a program to obtain land options on the Eastern Seaboard and other contiguous areas by preparing and negotiating access and exclusivity agreements for environmental Phase I and II assessments.
- Represented a municipal corporation in sale of a heavily indebted hotel through a structured bankruptcy sale.
- Negotiated and prepared the IT licensing agreements for the primary accounting, payroll and human resource systems at a major investment bank.
- Structured and conducted a controlled auction of commercial real estate.
- Represented lead investors of private placement in a start-up company developing high tech biometric identification solutions.
- Represented commercial property owners in sales, financing and refinancing of apartment buildings and commercial properties in New York City and on Long Island, including preparation and negotiation of store leases, sub-leases, and subordination and non-disturbance agreements.
- Represented corporate, limited liability companies and partnership clients in routine activities including organization, shareholder agreements, operating and partnership agreements, employment and severance agreements, consulting agreements, broker agreements, asset purchase agreements, non-disclosure agreements, licensing and basic governance.
National Vehicle Leasing Association
Legal and Legislative Counsel, 2017 to Present.
Board of Directors, 2020 to Present.
Vanderbilt University School of Law: Class Agent 1996 to present; Alumni Interviewer 2010 to present; Reunion Chair 1998, 2008, 2013, 2018.
Congregation Rodeph Sholom: Board Committees 2003 to 2020; Meyer Nathans Dedicated Service Award 2017.
Autism Community Experience Inc. Trustee, Vice President, Executive Committee, 2015 to 2017.
Holland & Knight (Haight Gardner Poor & Havens), New York, New York
Associate: 1988 to 1991
Vincenti & Schickler, New York, New York
Schickler & Schickler, L.L.P., New York, New York
Partner: 1993 to 2011
Wong Fleming, New York, New York
Counsel: 2011 to Present
Schickler PLLC, New York, New York
Founding Member: 2013 to 2020
B.A. with distinctions, 1983
Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
U.S. Tax Court
U.S. Supreme Court